"Every journey starts with just one step"


Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Milestones

Back down 1.6 pounds this week. I'm three weeks away from being three months on the plan and I'm 2.8 pounds away from losing 20% of my weight. Both big milestones in WW. I'm also three weeks away from the anniversary of my father's death (14 years ago!) and four weeks away from my 50th birthday. I just calculated how long a go my father died and I'm shocked how fast time is passing.

So May really starts the Milestone season for me. My father, my birthday and Mother's Day. I've always enjoyed my birthday, but it was because my mother always made a big deal for all of us on our birthdays. I am lucky to have friends to pick up the slack this year especially being a big one, but I still miss my mother and the joy it gave her to plan out a party.

Speaking of my mother, then we sail into June and the 18th is the anniversary of her death (2 years). This is a tough one of course. And her birthday, just a few weeks later on July 9th. Last year we went to Knott's Berry Farm and had my mom's favorite meal, Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner. This was something we did a few weeks before she died to celebrate her 80th birthday. This will be a tradition to do with whom ever wants to join and celebrate my mother's sweet spirit and love of food! My mother entertained a lot and she always took pictures of the food! She was a foodie at heart!

Also in July is my sister's birthday on the 24th. She also died a few weeks after her birthday on the 6th of August (11 years). This is also just another reminder about how much I miss her. I don't have anything I do traditionally for her, but it's never too late to start. My parent's friend had a place on Balboa Island and we would go every summer and I have such fond memories of us as kids and adults. I think I would like to start a tradition and go there at least once during the summer and walk around the island with a Balboa Bar or Frozen Banana.

Funny how we remember people and places and food! It truly is the meaning of comfort food! Fried chicken, rhubarb compote, boysenberry pie, Balboa Bars. Rosie my WW mentor says it's okay to eat these things on occasion and then she creates an occasion to have them! I can't think of a better way to honor the memories of my family than old fashioned favorites from places from my childhood. I'm going to take this occasion to remember my father and mother and sister and the great times we had as a family. I don't need to eat this stuff everyday, but on occasion works for me!

3 comments:

  1. Food and family hold powerful memories for most people! We're lucky we have so many wonderful memories! Happy early b-day, Alyson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellen! I knew you could relate! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! what a big year for you, Alyson! I'd love to go to Knott's and each chicken and remember Carolyn. Remember that time when the boys were little and we stayed with you all on Balboa Island? That was fun!

    Let's celebrate your birthday, since we can't seem to find any other excuse to motivate us!!! ~ xoxo,Suzie

    ReplyDelete