"Every journey starts with just one step"


Friday, June 3, 2011

One Bad Apple

So my birthday came and went. I didn't wake up on the 11th and suddenly feel old and useless and I certainly did not turn into a pillar of salt! I have wonderful friends to thank for ushering me in into this new decade of my life. Thank you very much, I am grateful for your kindness and friendship. I'm also grateful for the donations that were made in my name to the "ipad" fund and foundation! Yes folks, I'm getting an ipad. When they first came out I must admit I thought the ipad was an ifade, but the more isee the more ilike!

I couldn't decide which one to get 3G or just Wi-Fi, 32 GB or 64 GB? Black or White? So many choices. After much consideration and research from John and Kyle, my Apple adviser's, I decided on the 64 Wi-Fi only model. I can use a "Hot Spot" form my Droid and use it on the ipad and my laptop so that's why I decided no to get the 3G. I planned my trip to the Apple store so I could make my purchase and hang out with all the cool people who either want to be in the ipad club or who are in the ipad club. Little did I know, this is a club that is really hard to get into to even when you have the initiation fees! I first wanted to exchange the cover I received with my gift certificate. It was gray and I wanted to return it for a pink one. Since I didn't have the receipt I grabbed the first "Apple Associate" I came in contact with so they didn't think I just grabbed it off the wall stuck it in my purse and then tried to exchange it. This is how I think, like I'm always guilty. For those of you unfamiliar with the Apple store, even when it's most crowded, they still have more people working there than customers. The recession has not taken a bite out of Apple! So I grab the first guy, let's call him "Joe" and I pull the cover out of my purse and tell him I like to exchange it. "Have you opened it?" he asks, like I'm trying to get away with something. "No, I haven't opened it." he then wants to know what color I would like to get, because, you know, they don't have all the colors in stock. I say pink.  Okay, he says and we make our way over to the floor Manager. Joe says "She wants to exchange this"  the manger inquires "Have you opened it?" again, like I'm guilty of something. "No, I have not!" As we're standing there I see what color options I have because behind the Manager are all the covers. I mean ALL the covers. Every color imaginable.  So I get my pink cover and Joe just walks away. Doesn't ask if I want anything else? You mean, like an ipad! So I have to say "Hey! Wait a minute! I want to get an ipad!" He seams completely bored, "Which one? The AT&T or Verizon?" I explain that I just want a White 64 GB Wi-Fi only. "Oh, we're out of those." Period. Huh? When will you get more in? Don't know. Can you check at another store? He goes over to the computer pulls up a store list and says, "Why don't you call the Pasadena store and I'll call Glendale." How about you call both! What has happened to customer service? Especially when I'm paying a premium for an Apple product! Well, guess what? No one has just the Wi-Fi version of the ipad. You have to order it on line.So I left the store, my head hanging low and went home so I could order it from the Apple store on line. The beauty of ordering on line, besides not having to deal with Apple Associates, is that I got it engraved! It will say on the back "Alyson Dee Moore" and underneath that it will read "Established 1961" (thanks Shannon!)

So here's what we've learned today. Apple has great products, but lousy service. If you want an ipad just order it on line. And if you're thinking about stealing mine, think again, because I have my name engraved on the back!

No comments:

Post a Comment